THE HOT STOVE
The Winter Meetings are fast approaching (Saturday November 14) and the owners around the league are wanting to do some homework before we get in to vote. Of course there will be time for discussion but owners should be aware of and understand the options ahead of time. There are several items that will impact the 2016 season, so let's get to the specifics.
- WAIVER TRADES This proposed rule allows teams an option to waive (drop) a player under contract as long as another team is willing to pick up that contract. (If a contract player is released and no team acquires the player, the original team must resign the player after the Waiver Trade deadline, under the original contract terms.)
There is no risk to the team offering the players.
The teams acquiring a contract player in a waiver-trade will have to forfeit a draft pick based on the player's value, as compensation in the trade.
The Waiver-Trade period will be for 10 days, beginning at the trade deadline.
Teams acquiring a player in a waiver trade will get a prorated contract amount. Since the player's service time on the new team's roster will be for only 1 month during the regular season, the salary will be split 80% (old team) to 20% (new team) for the current season and will be represented accordingly for luxury tax purposes. (Thus moving luxury tax day to the end of the waiver trade period, not the general trade deadline).
Any contract extending beyond the season in which the trade takes place will transfer as normal, with the acquiring team assuming the contract.
A player with a value of less than $5, the compensation is a 9th - 12th round draft pick (depending on the acquiring team's available draft picks).
A player with a value of $6 - $10, the compensation is a 8th - 11th round draft pick (depending...).
A player with a value of $11-$15, the compensation is a 7th - 10th round draft pick (depending...).
A player with a value of $16-$20, the compensation is a 6th - 9th round draft pick (depending...).
A player with a value of $21+, the compensation is a 5th - 8th round draft pick (depending...).
Any team acquiring a player from waiver-trades that does not have the available compensation will have to compensate with the same round in a future draft.
Any team acquiring a player from waiver-trades may extend contracts.
- ACBA ALL STAR GAME This proposal is whether to continue with or remove the All Star Game from the All Star Break
- 2-ROUND OFFLINE DRAFT This proposal is whether to continue with or remove the 2-round offline draft leading up to the 1 day draft for the remaining rounds
- SHORTENED DRAFT This proposal is to determine if 22 rounds is too long for the annual draft. Most teams carry several contract players and a full 22 rounds is no longer necessary in the contract era. The proposal is to cut the draft to 17 rounds. Teams that have acquired any draft picks in rounds 18-22 would get their additional picks tacked on to the end of the draft if this proposal passes.
- INCREASE IN SCORING (Premium Categories)
Hit for Cycle - Increase from 5 points to 8 points
No Hitter - Increase from 5 points to 8 points
Perfect Game - Increase from 10 points to 12 points (keeping in mind, a perfect game includes No Hitter points)
Argument in favor of increase is rarity of feat; should weigh heavily on games decision
- REGULAR SEASON TIE BREAKER A minor adjustment in the tie breaker format. Rather than using the highest scoring bench player, simply using the highest scoring active player as the tie breaker. This rewards the owner who uses the best players, rather than rewarding the owner who sat a player with higher points.
- ROOKIE OF THE YEAR Inclusion of a Rookie of the Year Award during the Season Awards voting.
If voted on to include, then vote on name of the Award. Finalists: Rod Carew, Derek Jeter
- DROPPED PLAYERS MUST SIT OUT A SERIES DURING THE PLAYOFFS Determine whether a player that is dropped and clears waivers can be added by another team without sitting for a round or not. The playoffs are sometimes staggered in a way that allows for an extra day between series (or especially in the case of a team advancing early). This may allow for some players to clear waivers prior to the start of the next round beginning. Should those players that are dropped be available?
- CONTRACT BUY OUTS Allow owners to buy out contracts after the 1st year of the contract, instead of having to wait until the 2nd year. The buy out fee is the normal rate, plus $1.
Atlantic Coast Baseball Association © 2015